Civil (memorial tablets), Petersfield
Petersfield Cemetery was established in 1857 to replace that at St Peterís Church. The earliest burials are concentrated around the two memorial chapels near the entrance, on rather uneven land. The cemetery is in the care of East Hampshire District Council. This is a medium size non-denominational cemetery, which has been extended into adjacent fields after the original area itself was filled. There have been about 7600 burials at the site with perhaps two thousand gravestones still visible in total. As there are no gates and the cemetery is approached by a long and secluded avenue of lime trees, there has been some vandalism over the years, with headstones broken and pushed over, particularly in the area near the chapels. The cemetery is still in active use, but is now approaching capacity and a new site is being researched for acquisition by the council. This area is located by the roundabout at the end of the main access road and contains closely packed memorial tablets of a standard fixed size, set into the grass. The area is primarily intended to record details of cremations carried out elsewhere, and to provide an easily maintainable area which can be kept tidy by mowing without having to worry about damaging the stones. The stones are however exposed to the weather and some are already suffering from erosion.
The GPR holds 454 person records for the memorial.
There have been 8 requests for photographs from the memorial.
The latest details for the memorial were added on 20 July 2017
Running free of charge for 23 years!