Civil (area 4) Cemetery, Petersfield
Petersfield Cemetery was established in 1857 to replace that at St Peterís Church. The earliest burials are concentrated around the two memorial chapels near the entrance, on rather uneven land. The cemetery is in the care of East Hampshire District Council. This is a medium size non-denominational cemetery, which has been extended into adjacent fields after the original area itself was filled. There have been about 7600 burials at the site with perhaps two thousand gravestones still visible in total. As there are no gates and the cemetery is approached by a long and secluded avenue of lime trees, there has been some vandalism over the years, with headstones broken and pushed over, particularly in the area near the chapels. The cemetery is still in active use, but is now approaching capacity and a new site is being researched for acquisition by the council. This set of gravestones are from the central area as seen from the entrance, running down to the railway line. Most memorials date from the period 1920-1940.
The GPR holds 335 grave and 546 person records for the cemetery.
There have been 25 requests for photographs from the cemetery.
The latest details for the cemetery were added on 24 April 2017
Running free of charge for 23 years!