St John's Church burial ground, Bedminster, Bristol, England

google ad

Grave monument index

St John's Church burial ground
Bedminster
Bristol, England

photo of St John's Church burial ground

St John's Church burial ground, Bedminster

notes

Notes about the burial ground

The church of St John the Baptist was one of the first churches commissioned by Ethelred the Unready and the foundation stone was laid in 1003. It was burned down under the orders of Prince Rupert in 1645, rebuilt in 1663 and it was demolished in 1854 in order for it to be rebuilt. Only these two stones remain. The bodies of 242 people are still in the ground. St Johns Church was the parish church until the second world war when it was bombed. The graveyard was full before the 1939 war. Gravestones cleared when the site was turned into a park about 1967.
The Burial Ground that was used when the churchyard was full was also cleared probably at the same time as the churchyard and is also a park. Part of the so called 'Forest of Avon'.


The GPR holds 2 grave and 4 person records for the burial ground.


For information about this locality within Bristol,
have a look at the Oultwood directory for Bristol

For information about education in this locality within Bristol,
have a look at the Schools Web Index for Bristol

google ad

© copyright Gravestone Photographic Resource 1998 - 2018