Civil (South Chapel area) Cemetery, Petersfield, Hampshire, England

google ad

Grave monument index

Civil (South Chapel area) Cemetery
Petersfield
Hampshire, England

photo of Civil (South Chapel area) Cemetery

Civil (South Chapel area) Cemetery, Petersfield

notes

Notes about the cemetery

Petersfield Cemetery was established in 1857 to replace that at St Peterís Church. The earliest burials are concentrated around the two memorial chapels near the entrance, on rather uneven land. The cemetery is in the care of East Hampshire District Council. This is a medium size non-denominational cemetery, which has been extended into adjacent fields after the original area itself was filled. There have been about 7600 burials at the site with perhaps two thousand gravestones still visible in total. As there are no gates and the cemetery is approached by a long and secluded avenue of lime trees, there has been some vandalism over the years, with headstones broken and pushed over, particularly in the area near the chapels. The cemetery is still in active use, but is now approaching capacity and a new site is being researched for acquisition by the council. This set of gravestones are from the area running down behind the most southerly of the two chapels.


The GPR holds 88 grave and 148 person records for the cemetery.

Photographed and indexed by Gerry Roff

The latest details for the cemetery were added on 16 March 2017


For information about this locality within Hampshire,
have a look at the Oultwood directory for Hampshire

For information about education in this locality within Hampshire,
have a look at the Schools Web Index for Hampshire

google ad

© copyright Gravestone Photographic Resource 1998 - 2017