St Mary's Church burial ground, West Acklam, Yorkshire, England

google ad

Grave monument index

St Mary's Church burial ground
West Acklam
Yorkshire, England

photo of St Mary's Church burial ground

St Mary's Church burial ground, West Acklam

notes

Notes about the burial ground

There is said to be evidence to show that there has been a chapel or church on the site of St Mary’s Acklam for over a thousand years. The first reference to ACLUN is found in the Doomsday Book with a mention of a church and a priest. A medieval chapel of unknown age was rebuilt circa 1770. This in turn was pulled down and a new church built circa 1874 by the Hustler family who lived in the adjacent Acklam Hall and owned all the land in the area. The original dedication was to St John and it is thought that around the time of the rebuilding in 1874 this was changed to St Mary. The 1874 church only seated 135 and large extension to the North side of the 1874 church building was added, though still retaining the nave and chancel of the older church as the Bede chapel, this was consecrated on 19th October 1957.


The GPR holds 99 grave and 239 person records for the burial ground.

Photographed and indexed by Bob Willis

The status of the photographing of the burial ground is believed to be complete.

The quality of the photographs of the burial ground is good.

There have been 41 requests for photographs from the burial ground.

The latest details for the burial ground were added on 13 April 2012


For information about this locality within Yorkshire,
have a look at the Oultwood directory for Yorkshire

For information about education in this locality within Yorkshire,
have a look at the Schools Web Index for Yorkshire

google ad

© copyright Gravestone Photographic Resource 1998 - 2017